Thursday, August 21, 2008

POPOVERS FOR BREAKFAST

This morning I woke up and CRAVED Linda Bell's POPOVERS. This is a treat which I have eaten since childhood. Linda Bell was my trainer and boss at my job selling women's clothing, while I was in still in high school.

She remembers when Mike Huckabee, yes the Presidential candidate from Arkansas, used to drop by the store with his friend and mine, Ricky Caldwell. Linda and I have remained friends for all these years. I won't tell you how many years! She also remembers when size 3 clothes sometimes swallowed me and I could eat more than any three people put together and never gained an ounce.

If only I could get my hands on the recipe for Green Onion Cheddar Cheese Bread that the bakery next to the store used to bake! They made mini loafs and I ate a loaf every time I had a chance. Those were the days!


Linda Bell's Popovers

3 eggs

1 cup of milk

3 tablespoons of melted butter

1 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

preheat oven 400 degrees

beat eggs until frothy

add milk and butter

then slowly beat in flour and salt

place batter in GREASED custard cups

I use the Pyrex glass ones. Bake until dark brown and done approximately 45 minutes. Cut slits in the top and bake 5 minutes more.

These are sooooooooooooooooo good! It was just one of those mornings when I wanted comfort food and Popovers hit the spot!

Last night Honduras lost the soccer game and I needed to be comforted. Not because of the game loss, but because, I am stuck in the house while the truck is being repaired and as active as I am, I want to "GO AND DO".

Yesterday, I baked 6 cakes for the "FUTBALL" game, packaged them and sent them on the bus with Jose to share with his friends in southern Honduras. Two large black trash bags, clean of course, filled with cakes. Hondurans are "LOCO" about soccer. About 80 of them all gathered around a big screen television and had a blast! They ate chicken sandwiches and ate cake and screamed and yelled.

I must admit, staying at home has been relaxing. I have caught up on emails, studied for the Pastors Seminar later this month and baked. But enough is enough and I am ready to hit the ground running as soon as my truck is repaired. I pray that it will be finished today!
1 Kings 5:4 But now the LORD my God hath given me rest on every side, so that there is neither adversary nor evil occurrent.




No comments:

Post a Comment