Friday, August 15, 2008

FORD Brakes and Presidents

What a day! After 1:00 PM the mechanic arrived. Seems the impact of the motorcycle against the tire when it hit, ruined the "impaques" (which I would call round rubber 2" rings) which keep the brake fluid from leaking out. So I called around and found the "impaques" these 4 little rubber rings, which I could have cut off of any 2" hose, cost $44.00 and the taxi ride. Any way when these little rubber thing-a-ma-jigies ripped and disintegrated from the impact, the brake fluid leaked out, but more importantly than that, one of the brake shoes slid out and was lost somewhere between the accident scene and the garage. So I had to buy brake shoes also. I am spoiled, because, all of my brake shoes are donated to me in the USA. Another $45.00, ouch! The mechanic is still working on the car. It is after 8:00 PM, but I think the FORD may be up and running! I sure hope so! The upside is I pay $5.55 per hour to the mechanic! The downside, FORD parts are really expensive here.

I spent most of the day doing paperwork, which is not my favorite thing and now, I am tired.

Hugo and Fidel!

I just heard that President Hugo Chavez of Venezuela is coming to Honduras on the 25th and Casa Presidencial, (the white house) is only 3 blocks from where I live, so I am going to make plans to leave the city that "crazy day". Hugo and President Mel Zelaya of Honduras seem to be really good buddies. For the last few weeks, we have seen on national channels, video of Hugo and Mel every commercial break. Now, it has become apparent why!


Please pray for the president of Honduras, Mel Zelaya. Pray that he will hear the voice of God and that he will make good decisions.

I have never been very involved in politics, but here, it seems that if you don't know people in political positions, you cannot get much done. Soon after starting to do missions work in Honduras Mike and I discovered that the phrase "It is not what you know, it is who you know." must have been invented in Honduras. It quickly became apparent that we needed to know the Who's Who in political circles.

After having lived here for 4 years, it is more apparent than ever, that we must not keep our head in the sand regarding political issues.
To the left is a photo of me with President Mel Zelaya at the 4th of July event at the Ambassador of the United States home here in Tegucigalpa.
With Jose running for Congress and all the other political friends which I have made here, life is much easier than it might otherwise be. Recently when I had a hospital director try to cancel a "gringo" medical team at the last minute, the President's wife called the hospital director and asked him to explain. Then a few minutes later the right hand man to the president and (former Minister of Health) called to find out what was going on and why. The hospital director told them that it was "just a misunderstanding" that the team had never been canceled. Funny response, since I put the cell phone on speaker when the hospital called to cancel and three people heard the "news".
Ephesians 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.



No comments:

Post a Comment