Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What A Week

To say the least it has been an eventful week. A week filled with activity like: 6 Vitamin Brigades, a political leaders meeting where we trained people to work in their communities looking for patients and asking people to vote for Jose, Honduras Independence Day, a birthday party and 1,000s of kilometers of driving.


Sunday night was the most eventful, we went to a birthday party and I ate some meat, which I later found out had MSG in it. Sunday night I almost died. I was sound asleep and dreaming that someone was choking me. I kept trying to fight off the dream, but couldn't. Finally, I awoke with my throat almost totally closed. I could not breath through my nose at all and barely was breathing through my mouth. I was staying at some doctor friends' home, so I crawled out my bed and tried to get them to answer their bedroom door, but I couldn't talk, I could only squeak.

So I went into the room where Jose was staying and pushed on him until he woke up and explained to him with squeaks that I needed to get to the hospital NOW! He woke up Margarita and she went to the pharmacy and got some meds for me. I took them immediately and then laid down in her bed for about an hour where she could monitor me until the swelling in my throat went down. What a horrible feeling to not be able to breath.

Then Monday I got up and went to the Independence Day Parade. We gave away 1,500 bags of water to the parade participants and to the parade watchers. The water was donated to us to give away, so we gave water to everyone until it was all gone.

When I woke up I was still "queezy" but it got worse as the day went on. I spent most of the day in bed today, but finally feel like I am going to make it. I made up a list of errands and sent Jose to do them all and basically directed traffic from my bedroom.

My truck transmission which was supposed to be done tomorrow will not be completed until day after tomorrow at the earliest.

It looks like there will be several hernia patients next week and also several thyroid patients. I have a doctor coming from Hawaii to perform surgeries! And she is bringing me some macadamia nuts. It has been several years since I have had a taste of macadamia nuts, so I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment