Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Chocolate Almond Coffee Truffles

Today was one of those days when I actually felt like doing paperwork. I woke up early and I worked on my book for a while. Actually if the truth was known, I hardly slept praying for Kevin, a friend’s nephew who is fighting a battle with aggressive cancer. I have had Kevin on my heart a lot lately and am praying that the Lord will touch him and give him a full recovery.

I am writing a book on False Accusations, so when I got out of bed, I worked for a few hours checking final drafts before sending it to the publisher.

Then I started in on my accounting and trip expenses. I HATE PAPERWORK! It is so much more fun to have the medical teams and help people then it is to sit and do paperwork! I love people and love to help them, so sitting at a desk and doing paperwork is not my idea of fun.

Several weeks ago I had baked several cakes and thrown them in the freezer, just in case I needed one of them at the last minute. This is a habit which I have, since, the missionaries house always seems to have drop by surprise guests. Sometimes I think I have created a MONSTER! Everyone knows that they can drop by anytime day or night (if I am in town) for a slice of cake and some homemade lemonade.

In the midst of the paperwork I thought, I would like to make some truffles. So I took the cake out of the freezer and as I did my paperwork I thought about what flavor of truffles to make. Hondurans are freezing right now as it is winter. At night the temp can drop to 55 degrees so everyone is in the mood for coffee. That’s it; I will make Chocolate Almond Coffee Truffles.

Chocolate Almond Coffee Truffles

Truffles

1 chocolate cake mix baked
2 teaspoons almond flavoring
¼ cup chocolate frosting
1/8 cup Coffee Liquor
Small cupcake papers

Truffle Coating

1 cup sliced almonds minced
3 tablespoons cocoa powder

1. Bake the cake as directed.
2. Freeze immediately in an airtight bag.
3. The next day take it out and let it stand inside the bag until it is soggy and room temp, it sweats as it thaws.
4. Place baked frozen and then thawed cake in mixing bowl.
5. Mix Truffle Coating Mixture and set aside in small rounded bowl.
6. Add all other ingredients to the cake, except for coffee liquor.
7. Mix and try to roll into a ball. It is trial and error. You need the mix to be moist enough to stick together, but dry enough to not be gooey. Add coffee liquor 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the correct consistency.
8. Roll into balls and
9. Roll balls in Coating Mix
10. Place in small paper candy cups (they look like cupcake papers, but they are smaller)

No comments:

Post a Comment