Tuesday, March 2, 2010

March 2, 2010 Doña Vidalia Has A Torito

Doña Vidalia is my Holstein cow, donated to me and the ministry by Don Vidal Cerrato the former Vice President of Honduras.



Several years ago I had a beautiful Holstein who died and Don Vidal heard of my predicament. He gave me a Holstein cow to replace the one which had died. I lovingly called her Doña Vidalia.



When friends found out about the cows new name, they were appalled that I had named the cow after the Vice President of Honduras. They were sure he would be angry… So for several years EVERYONE kept it a secret. Then Doña Vidalia had a calf. Well of course I had to inform Don Vidal that we were the proud parents of a calf. I carefully chose the time and place and informed him in front of all his family members and friends that we were now “Proud Grandparents”. Everyone gasped, thinking I had made an error with my Spanish and thinking that I had just said that Don Vidal and I had a child and that that child had a baby.

To make a long story short, I told Don Vidal that Doña Vidalia (the cow) had a new calf. He wanted to know who Doña Vidalia was and when he realized he belly laughed. Everyone at the table waited to see how he would react and when he laughed, they all laughed also. The secret was out.

Well to make a long story short Doña Vidalia produces up to 14 liters of milk a day and has been a wonderful cow except for the fact that she thinks fences are a game. There is NO fence to hold Doña Vidalia. She goes through them, under them, around them or over them. (Probably why he gave her to me…) But she is a wonderful cow.



Two days ago she gave birth to a torito (little bull). I have decided to call him Socks. He has white feet, white on the end of his tail and little white on his head and white on the end of his other important extension.

I can hardly wait to start making my own butter and cream. I am thankful to the Lord that he has blessed me with this baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment