Monday, October 12, 2009

Casa In Aramicina, Honduras On The El Salvador Border

There are many ways to describe Honduras, each zone of the country has it's own special characteristics. The house below is typical of the area where El Salvador meets Honduras. This particular home is located in Aramicina, Valle, Honduras. The bright colors, the tile around the doors and windows all show the El Salvadorean influence in the area.



I love living in Honduras except when it comes to cooking. I miss fresh herbs and spices and being able to run to Dean and Deluca a few blocks from home if I didn't have what I needed.


There are many things which I just can't find here, like fresh mint, fancy cheeses and good BBQ sauce. I have a friend which brings me Chips BBQ Sauce from Little Rock, Arkansas when she comes to visit. Thank you Linda K. Bell!

I grew up in Little Rock, Arkansas and across the street from the Methodist Church where I attended as a kid, there was a wonderful BBQ place called Chips BBQ. Every Saturday night I ate an English Muffin BBQ Beef Sandwich there. I know that sounds like a strange combination, but the truth is the English Muffin holds up much better with tons of BBQ sauce than does white bread. Meat, cheese, coleslaw and tons of BBQ on a English Muffin and you have a sandwich made in heaven. Chips BBQ is located at 9801 W Markham Street, Little Rock, AR 72205-2125 telephone (501) 225-4346. Just in case you want to order some of the best BBQ Sauce in the world.


The up side to living in Honduras is that there are several kinds of parsley and "culantro" I think that is cilantro in English. Lots of varities of bananas, many fresh fruits like papaya, mango, guava, pineapple, cashew etc. and all these different fruits are cheap. I buy Calle Lilies at least once a month to place on my table and they too are really cheap. So I complain, but not too be taken very seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment